THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 17, 2009

Sadie-Amazing Dog Tricks


So as I have said before, I have a completely amazing dog. She is so smart sometimes it just bewilders me. Today being a beautiful day, I went to the store to restock my children's outdoor toys, and in the mess of goodies I ended up with bubbles, frilly wands the wave in the wind, a bouncy ball, a ball and bat, and a frisbee. I didn't really think my kids would be old enough quite yet to learn, but thought it might give my boyfriend and I something to do at the park while the kids play. Of course, I was proved wrong, as my kids took a huge interest in it and learned very quickly how to throw it, and even catch about every other one I tossed their way. Even more amazingly, as I taught my kids this simple but fun sport I heard my dog barking behind me every time we threw it. She wanted the frisbee. She already speaks, and sits, and plays fetch with a tennis ball, so I thought to myself..."How would you teach a dog to play frisbee?" I came inside and quickly looked up different techniques on the internet, most of them being pretty much the same. 1. Introduce the frisbee by playing tug of war with it, always letting the dog win. 2. Roll it along the ground and reward her when she chases it. 3. Once she gets the hang of doing that command her to bring it back. 4. Start tossing it up or holding it high off the ground to get her to jump for it and reward her. 5. Start throwing short tosses to get her to grab it out of the air, now that it's a favorite toy. Now this process is supposed to take place over the course of a few days. I'm proud to say that after about 20 minutes of playing with it, she's already retrieving it and "trying" to catch it in the air. She hasn't quite succeeded yet, but not for lack of trying. I'm just amazed that she's even jumping for it already and gets the concept. I can't wait to spend the weekend teaching her and I think she'll be a pro in no time!

0 comments: