THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sunday Dinner


So, as I said before, I'm having a little trouble connecting with my boyfriend's family. I don't know what to do about it, and I don't like it at all. I normally don't have a problem getting to know people at all, and they usually cling to me pretty quickly. I'm not a hard person to get to know, and I pretty much wear my heart on my sleeve. If anything, I probably tell too much about myself too quickly. So this situation makes me wonder if I've done something wrong. We just finished the routine Sunday lunch and visit as we do every week, and it only seems to have gotten worse. For example: my boyfriend's best friend Scott went with us today, and there was a new family member there I hadn't met before. When this family member walked in, my boyfriend's mother introduced Scott to him, and completely said nothing at all about me and my daughter, who were sitting right next to him. I felt invisible. If she doesn't like me that's fine, but in my home, introductions are just a routine courtesy and part of manners. Later, I saw my daughter go to the back door with his mom, and then she came back in, so I assumed that this woman who is a mother of 3 was keeping an eye on her, or that Sydney had come back inside with her. As I found out a few minutes later, she had been outside the whole time. His mom never told me she went out, and there were 4 other people out there, who could have told me. Nobody did. I went out to find her inside my car in 70 degree weather with all the doors locked. I understand there's a certain responsibility on my part here too, but common sense says that adults should notice a child alone, even if it's not their own. Third example: I met Sonny through his cousin, who I actually dated for a couple weeks at one time. His cousin's mother also showed up, and I had only met her once before very briefly. She sat and talked to me more than anyone had in the entirety of ALL the time I have spent there. I even gave her a hug as I left for the day, and bid everyone goodbye, only to be met with no response. I just don't know what to do. He says they like me, but it sure doesn't seem like it and I don't want to seem like a whiner. He also tells me that it's just how they are and not to take it personally. I guess as long as I have him that's all that matters, but I would prefer to be able to connect with them as well.

0 comments: