THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Mi Familia





So I guess at one point or another in our lives we all think our families are just messed up...period. I'm coming to realize lately that mine isn't so bad after all. We all have our quirks and our little things that annoy each other, but that's just part of it, right? One thing I will give them credit for is that if I have someone in my life that means alot to me, they definitely go out of their way to make that person feel special and accepted. They take the time to ask questions and learn about them and get to know more about who they are. That person will always be invited to family functions and included in everything we do. Game day is one of my favorites, it consists of lots of very competitive, almost physical board game playing. We take this very seriously, or at least some of us do more than others. Summertime is one of my favorite times also, this time of year includes bonfires, swimming, barbecues, camping, floating...so on and so forth. If it's nice outside, we find a reason to be together and do something. I guess spending so much time together eventually leads to conflicts, but for the most part, they are coming from the heart and because we care for each other. Having recently been introduced to my boyfriends family and spending some time with them over the last few weeks, I'm realizing how many families don't do those sorts of things and how much it means to me that mine does. I feel like somewhat of an outsider, very few people taking the time to strike up a conversation with me and find out who this new girl is in their lives. It's lovely that they take the time to all come together every Sunday for lunch, but at the same time, everyone kind of roams around the house doing different things in different rooms, not really spending much time together talking about what's new and going on. I feel pretty awkward and kind of lost, not really knowing what to do with myself while I'm there most of the time, so I've tried to include myself without being invited to do so by just simply bringing the dessert every week. I'm hoping this will show I care and that I enjoy being in their lives, and possibly give a hint that I want to be included. Nobody has officially been rude or mean to me by any means, they are all very nice people, they just haven't gone out of their way like my family does to make me feel included, and I don't really know how to handle that. In time I suppose it will be better, if anything, it's definitely making me appreciate my family even more.

0 comments: