THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 30, 2009

Business Matters


One of the most aggravating things to me is a person who owns a business and doesn't seem to know how to run it. Maybe this is why I have always been bad at dealing with authority and had so many jobs, thus deciding to open my own business someday and my reason for going to school. My boyfriend is a diesel mechanic and works very hard every day. Often times he comes home saying he got his ass chewed or that someone else did for some silly reason. He never really went into much detail telling me about this until recently. They hired a new mechanic, (making a total of 3), and started changing the schedule around to suit this. Obviously this is probably necessary, and was starting to work out for the better, or was at least tolerable. Over the course of the last week rules keep changing and everyone has been on edge. One of these new rules is that if one step is forgotten on a truck, let's just say changing a light bulb for instance, you lose a WEEK of vacation. If this happens in two seperate instances you lose TWO weeks vacation, which is all of it for the entire year. Seems a little ridiculous huh? I can understand some kind of punishment for such things, but that's extreme if you ask me, considering he has been at this establishment for 2 1/2 years and only missed one day total for his Grandfather's funeral. I'm not talking one EXCUSED day, I'm talking ONE DAY....period. Never late, and never took these two weeks of vacation in any year. Now, if you ask me this should be rewarded. On top of all this are these "ass chewings" which as I have found out are pretty crude, obscene and definitely not work place appropriate. Cutting people down, calling names, and lots of cussing. Throw in the most normally not getting any breaks or lunches and it just tops the cake. First of all, I know that most of this is entirely illegal. Secondly, I want to walk into that shop myself and let this owner know just what a moron he is. I mean really, you expect 3 mechanics to run hard all day long and get things done in a timely manner, but you're not going to give them a break, lunch, or vacation and on top of that make them worry about losing their vacation and scream at them every day? Not a smart man by outside appearances. This has of course caught up with him, and one of the other mechanics walked out a couple of days ago. This other person happened to be my boyfriend's brother. This was on Friday, and Sonny was scheduled to have the weekend off. Technically without Mark there, Sonny would have had to go in on Saturday to make up for it, but the boss said,"Take some time away, you need it." Gee, thanks boss for letting me keep the day off I'm supposed to have anyway. It's not like he gave him an EXTRA day off. Then today, Monday Sonny calls me and says they're going back to the old schedule and he won't have tomorrow off after all, like the new schedule had planned. I'm just about fed up with dealing with all these changes myself and I don't know how he deals with it. I absolutely cannot stand stupidity and disorganization, especially in the workplace. I can't wait to open my own business and try to do everything different than any boss has ever done for me or other people I know.

0 comments: