THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Being Involved


As a kid growing up in a small school, I remember going on field trips and always seeing the same mother's showing up as chaperones. My parents both worked full time and never had the opportunity to go to these, and many times not even able to attend our sport events in other towns, even if they were in the evening. My parents probably did more preparation and working around schedules, just to make sure we could still participate but still had a ride there or home, whichever the situation required. So even though they weren't there, they still did everything they could to make sure my brother and I were well rounded kids, involved in alot of extra curricular things. My brother focused mostly on basketball, baseball, and soccer. Two of which he dropped by the ninth grade, and only continued with soccer through high school. This, I realize now, was probably the worst of the three to choose, since it was not school funded or represented, but was a private league he'd been involved with since he was 5. Still, they made sure he was at every game, especially since he was the star player. I, on the other hand was involved in many more things and continued almost all of them through my entire school career. Volleyball, softball, soccer, track, cross country, choir, band, drama club, FHA, FBLA, FHA, SADD and a couple of other temporary clubs that didn't last long due to lack of interest. So yes, I was a very busy girl. At times, I even missed out on being in the group photos for the year book, since I was already gone on the bus on the way to a game or competition for another group. You would think I'd be a popular girl, but I wasn't. In fact in our very small school, (my graduating class was 45 ppl) the more you were good at, the worse off you were. It was best in my school to be good at ONE thing to shine at, why I don't know. Even the cheerleaders weren't popular, in fact they were kind of the leftovers of the girls that weren't quite sporty enough to be on the regular teams. I still enjoyed myself, however and found in my freshman year being the first and only freshman to be playing on varsity teams, a big accomplishment, but jealousy I guess outweighs appreciation and recognition. My point is that I always wanted my mom or dad to be able to come and enjoy these events, since they had worked so hard to make sure I got to participate. I always said back then, that if at all possible I would do what I could to try and be involved in my children's school activities. Now, I find that possibility happening. My oldest daughter, Katy, is in kindergarten and has a few class trips coming up, as well as class parties, and my youngest, Sydney is in pre-school right across the hall from her sister. I know it may not always continue in this way, but for now, I have the opportunity to be a classroom mom, and I am looking forward, and may even be MORE excited about their activities than they are! I can't wait to be there and see the joy on their faces, and meet their friends, and see just what their day is like at school. Sometimes as adults, we get so caught up in our everyday life of trying to survive and make sure the bills are paid, that we forget our children have lives too. They have routines, rules and responsibilities every day just like we do. I want to never forget this, and always let them know that I care what happens in their day and let them know if they ever need me or need advice or help, that I am here for them. If you are reading this and you have kids, put yourself in their shoes as a 5 year old going to school everyday, and imagine doing what they do. Putting their coats in cubby's, lining up for lunch, following directions to learn how to read, having a snack and sitting by their best friend. Imagine what they might be talking about at recess and how they might be acting. Do they have a clique? Do they talk to everyone and treat them all equally? Maybe your kid is bossy at home, and at school, away from you that turns into being a bully. Just take a few moments once in a while and try out some empathy.

0 comments: