THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Body Odor


So, I did learn something in my Anatomy class this evening, which is the most hated of all the classes I take. Growing up you hear all these myths and different things about what your body does and why. As it turns out there is a scientific explanation to all of them, and some things our bodies do for no apparent reason, or for reasons that really don't do us much good anymore. For example, body odor is not caused just by simply sweating, it's caused by our clothes...I know, I know. The reason why is because our clothes actually trap the bacteria our body is releasing and traps it there, causing the odor. So does this mean that people in nudist colonies never stink? Did you know that when we take a shower we are essentially turning our skin into a base instead of an acid by wiping away all the oil? Our skins oil by the way is made of sebum, which is what lotion is made of, except it's made of sheep's oil...see where I'm going with this? Essentially we are washing away our natural oil and then replacing it with sheep's oil, but this is considered cleaner? Our ceruminous glands produce ear wax in our ears and is meant to keep out dirt of course, but did you know that it also keeps your ear canal pliable and moist? If it were to dry out, your ear would crack and bust your eardrums...hmmm. Again with oil, when we wash our hair we are removing the natural oil and then replace it with a fake one by using some sort of hair product to replace it. Most of the dust in our house is skin cells, so why dust? They're on our body all the time anyway right? As for those functions we have that don't do much, things like goosebumps and eyebrows don't serve much function, but at one time worked very well for cavemen. Goosebumps are meant to raise the hair on your skin and trap heat inside your body. The problem now is, we have evolved enough that we don't have much hair anymore to do any good! Of course this still works for mammals like dogs and cats. Eyebrows? Well, they are supposed to reduce the glare from the sun, like a football player putting black paint under his eyes. True, they probably do help a little, but way back when I'm sure they had unibrows and it worked much better. I know, most of this is ridiculous, but true. My point is that society has told us we have to wear clothes, wash our bodies, and buy all these products that are man made and replace what we just washed off anyway, but with something less healthy. Is this what it has come to? I guess so...wish I could just run naked and never stink, never wash my hair and have healthy shiny hair, not have to put sheep's oil on my skin, and never dust my house again...hmmm can you say Caveman? Still yet, it all makes sense to me!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um - I will have to think about all of this. ~ms. A